Support Our Work!
AFOP needs financial contributions in order to continue its important work of advocating for farmworkers and their families. If you would like to make a monetary donation, please click on the Network for Good button to support our work.
The Association of Farmworker Opportunity Programs is a non-profit, tax exempt charitable organization under Section 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code. Donations are tax deductible to the extent allowed by U.S. law.
Spread the Word!
To stay up-to-date and help raise awareness, make sure to check out our social media accounts and participate by asking questions, engaging in discussions, and sharing our posts.
- Like AFOP National on Facebook
- Follow @AFOPNational on Twitter
- Read the AFOP Blog
- You can also connect with our Children in the Fields Campaign and Health & Safety Programs
Join Our Team!
We currently have one available position in our Washington, D.C. office.
Title: Communications Director
Location: Washington, D.C.
AFOP is seeking a Communications Director to join our team. The ideal candidate will have impeccable writing and editing skills, a keen eye for design, social media savvy, and be politically astute. The Communications Director is responsible for raising public awareness around the work of the Association, its member agencies, and its programs, including the National Farmworker Jobs Program, Health & Safety Programs, and the Children in the Fields Campaign.
- Update and implement the organization’s strategic communications plan
- Design advocacy strategy, actions, and tools for the National Farmworker Jobs Program and other relevant initiatives
- Field press inquiries, write and distribute press releases, and manage media list database
- Write, edit, design, and distribute AFOP’s bi-monthly newsletter “The Washington Newsline”
- Manage and expand AFOP’s social media presence in coordination with programs
- Serve as website and blog administrator
- Bachelor’s degree required; Journalism/Communications/English/Political Science degrees preferred
- Understanding of pitching and communication functions
- 2-5 years professional experience in non-profit or legislative/policy communications field
- Experience in conference and event planning
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communication skills
- Strong knowledge of social marketing tools
- Ability to manage and oversee multiple projects and work collaboratively with other staff and departments
- Expert MS office skills required
- Spanish language ability preferred
- Knowledge of Capitol Hill a plus
- Some knowledge of HTML and WordPress helpful
Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and a writing sample (no more than two pages) via email to nguyen[at]afop.org. Applications without cover letter or writing sample will not be considered. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Application deadline: Wednesday, May 10, 2013 (COB)